Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Racist Pong

The other day I visited a friend at her house on Menlo in the afternoon. We decided to play a game of beer pong. While it was just girls, the game was great, we laughed and had a good time. Two girls, one a sorority member of the notorious delta delta delta, could not fathom playing a game just among women; it was not legitimated unless males were present. It was just PRACTICE for when the girls play against the guys. This alone, disturbed me.

The girls also used terms such as the Indian, the Asian, the white man, the black man, to describe a formation of the cups that can be chosen for a re-rack. One cup "shaft" was Indian, two Asian, three white man, and four black man. The sorority girl giggled as she told me the terms.

Had any minority been present, I would not be as offended as I was. However, this specific group of people are all young, white, middle class girls and boys.

While I understand these names were used for a friendly, but competitive game when consuming alcohol, I nonetheless excuse the racism. People, expecially college students at a prestigious university, should be responsible enough not to not enforce gender and race heirarchies, but sadly not all are.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

This is why I have a problem with humor...humor allows the racism you experienced to be innocent, playful and acceptable.

Ren said...

Weeeird...

+1 to Vanessa

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.